Becoming a B-Corp
Becoming a B-CorpAlthough we live in the most peaceful and prosperous time in human history, there is undoubtedly much work still to be done. Whilst world leaders and governments have more data and technological advancements than ever before, there are still major issues that are not being addressed sufficiently. Environmental devastation, poor working conditions, and income inequality are three such issues. As a business, we have a unique opportunity to step up and do our part to make this world a better place for the many, not just the few. We are therefore working hard on attaining status as a certified B-Corporation.
What is a B-corp?
It is still considered by many that companies exist solely to make profit. As we can collectively see, all this outlook leads to is; environmental devastation, income equality, and poor working conditions. With these detrimental effects in mind, the non-profit organisation B Lab constructed a method to facilitate industries to challenge this bias. Certified B Corporations form a global community that is working to accelerate a societal shift towards a new type of business. One that sees social responsibility to people and the planet as being at the core of a company’s purpose.
B-Corp Certifications ensure that:
- Companies are being constantly evaluated for their impact on employees, environment, community and customers using the B Impact Assessment
- Companies are adhering to the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance
- Companies have adjusted their legal structures to balance profit and purpose, not serving only shareholders
- Companies maintain complete transparency in operations from supply chain to customer
- Companies can be trusted on claims of working towards the greater good
What does it mean to be a b-corp?
B Corporations function on the premise that collectively, we have the power to create the future we want to live in. All B Corporations adhere to these beliefs:
- That we must be the change we seek in the world.
- That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
- That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
Living Up to Expectations - What Makes us a B Corp?
It’s all well and good talking the talk, but how is Cortazu acting on these values in day-to-day practice?
As we outline in our sustainability page:
To minimise the impact we have on the planet and reduce our carbon footprint as much as possible; we focus on technical innovation and recycled components.
To ensure our manufacturing is as ethical as it can possibly be, we focus on long term relationships with every stakeholder of the supply chain. We are highly selective with the partners we work with which allows us to ensure the working conditions of workers are not just fair, but great.
Cortazu doesn't exist just to sell outerwear products. We're here to inspire people to create their own adventures while supporting the world around us. That's why we decided to donate 20% of our profits to charities each year and currently work hard on attaining status as a certified B-Corporation.
We already partnered up with Justdiggit and started to cool down the planet. If we can warm up the earth, we can also cool it down.
Our goal is to Re-green 5 million square meters of land by 2025.
For more information about each of the mentioned steps, please visit our dedicated sustainability page.